So about last night … I made a thing. Well, a couple of things.
Chocolatey-chewy-cherry-protein-packed … things.
And did I mention they’re gluten-free, dairy-free and low in sugar? Oh ya, that too 🙂
I’ve been trying to go more gluten-free these days due to some GI issues. Over the weekend, while up in Maine, my mom picked me up a copy of Gluten-Free & More. Chock-full of recipe, Q+A’s and recipe substitutions, I found myself nose deep in the g-free pages.
I stumbled upon this recipe and with what I had in my pantry, decided to tweak it slightly. These are a no-brainer, no-bake, easy-peasy bar option that trumps anything processed you’ll find in the supermarket.
Chocolate Cherry Protein Bars | Gluten-Free + Dairy-Free
recipe modified from Gluten Free & More
- 1 C gluten-free rice cereal
- 1/2 gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 packet of chocolate protein powder (1.2-1.6 ou) — I used GF/dairy-free
- 1/4 C mini chocolate chips
- 1/3 C dried cherries
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 C smooth peanut butter (reduced sodium or unsalted, preferred)
- 1/4 C honey
- 1/4 C unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Line an 8×8 in pan with foil and spray or rub with coconut oil to prevent bars from sticking.
- In a large bowl mix the first 6 ingredients.
- In a small bowl mix the PB and honey and microwave for 20 seconds. Stir in vanilla extract and milk.
- Pour warm PB mixture over dry ingredients and stir until incorporated.
- Press dough into pan and refrigerate at least 30 min before cutting.